Monday, May 21, 2012

The College Question: Is it worth it?


In case you didn't watch it last night - and you should - here's the 60 minutes piece Dropping Out: Is college worth the cost? The story is centered around the Thiel Foundation, founded by Facebook's first investor (and billionaire) Peter Thiel who offers college students $100,000 to drop out of school and spend their newfound time and money working on projects to improve themselves and the world. Basically, he's kickstarting venture capitalists like himself.
I'm a rising senior at Arizona State University's Walter Cronkite School. A school that I earned a full academic scholarship to attend and that I am often told is the best journalism school in the country. But I'll graduate with more student loan debt than the average in a state that has the highest student loan default rate in the country. Oh and did I mention that jobs in journalism - well really everywhere, but especially journalism- are hard to come by?
The worst part about it is that I - like the students in the piece - rarely feel challenged in school. Of course I often have a giant workload - school, internships, editorial job at the school newspaper - it's not mentally challenging, just time consuming.
I often wonder if my college experience will be worth it in the end. Journalists are semi-famous for being college-dropouts or at least for NOT studying journalism in college, so my degree seems a bit frivolous. Graduating under a mountain of debt makes me wonder if I would have done things differently if I could go back. Would I get a different degree that didn't require so many extra curricular work  and have a job all the way through? Would I take my time and graduate in five or six years?
It all makes me quite stressed out and sad, but I calm myself by remembering that I will have a college degree, a thing that just one percent of the world has.
That's a good thing, right?