Monday, May 21, 2012

Solar eclipse













In case you weren't alive yesterday let me inform you. THERE WAS A SOLAR ECLIPSE!
They happen quite rarely, when the moon, in it's orbit around the earth, passes between the earth and the sun, temporarily blocking the light from the sun. Luckily for me, I am in Arizona which was the perfect place to see the eclipse. Apparently in northern Arizona, the eclipse was even more spectacular but I'm not complaining.
You might have guessed that these images aren't actually pictures of the sun - they're upside down - and you've guessed right.
In order to see the eclipse and not go blind, I made an eclipse viewer out of a cereal box and a piece of aluminum foil with a pinhole in it. I faced my back to the eclipse and looked through the hole in the box to see the projected image of the eclipse in the bottom of the box.

I've never seen such a complete eclipse before so I was quite excited throughout the 2 hour ordeal. If you browse the web, you'll see much more creative views than mine - reflections through leaves or skyscrapers were particularly awesome.
I tried to warn you that I couldn't be kept from science posts. Hope you enjoyed the temporary stop in Nerd-ville.

Did you see the eclipse yesterday? How excited were you?